How To Become a Councillor

Co-option West Ward


Skipton Town Council is looking to fill two vacancies for Councillors to serve on the West Ward of the Council, which includes areas such as Broughton Road, Carleton Park and Burnside.

The vacancy arose following the elections, in May, when there were only two candidates for the four seats available in the West Ward.

The Council invites expressions of interest from any member of the public interested in becoming a Councillor to fill the vacancies.

As a Councillor, you would work alongside two other Councillors representing the local community in West Ward – and you would help in overseeing the work of the Council and the services it provides to the Town.

The co-option of candidates will be decided by a vote amongst the other 14 Councillors at a meeting of the Council being held on the 23rd June at 7pm.

The successful candidates will have the same rights, duties and responsibilities as any other Councillor – and would serve on the Council until the next scheduled elections in May 2027.

To be considered for co-option, you must meet a small number of conditions. You must be aged 18 or over  and you must either appear on the electoral register for the West Ward of the Parish of Skipton, or you must have either lived or worked in West Ward (or within 4.8km of it) for the whole of the last twelve months.

There is no need to be affiliated to any political party and, because the vacancy will be filled by co-option, there will be no need to fight in an election.

Anyone wishing to put themselves forward should do so, in writing to: Louise Close, Chief Officer, Skipton Town Council, Town Hall, SKIPTON, BD23 1FD – or by email to 

The closing date for expressions of interest is 5pm on Monday 6th June 2022.


Except where a by-election is called to fill a Casual Vacancy on the Council, Members are elected once every four years.

Councillors are unpaid and Skipton Town Council does not generally pay any allowances to its Councillors, however they undertake a vital role in the community, shaping local policies and helping to improve the Town for its residents.

Being a Councillor will occupy some of your spare time - and there is a legal requirement to attend meetings. It is possible, though, to become a Councillor alongside a full-time job.

If you are interested in becoming a Councillor, you should contact the office for further information. The Council's Chief Officer will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

You do not have to represent any political party, individuals can stand in their own right as independent Members of the Council. If you do wish to represent a political party, you will need to have their approval and should contact them direct.